History of Subaru of Indiana
The history of SUBARU of INDIANA AUTOMOTIVE, INC.
to the automotive industry. It's
origins date back many decades and involve the dedication
individuals and companies.
Originally, SIA was a joint venture between Fuji
Industries Ltd. and Isuzu Motors Limited. This venture
was formed in March of 1987. At the beginning of
Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. became the sole owner of
SIA. SIA Associates now build the Subaru Legacy,
Outback, and Tribeca along with the Toyota Camry.
Heavy Industries Ltd.
At the very beginning, Chikuhei
Nakajima established the Aircraft Research Laboratory
in Japan in 1917. From 1945 to roughly 1953,
the company separated into twelve smaller companies
with divisions in automobile,
aircraft, rolling stock (train, diesel locomotive,
ect.), industrial engine, and bus/coach production.
In 1953 Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI) was established
from five of the leading companies remaining after
division, and from that corporation Subaru arose.
"Subaru" is a Japanese word for Pleides (Plee-a-dees),
a constellation widely known since ancient times, which
is used as Subaru's logo to symbolize unity and purpose.
The company named Subaru first began manufacturing
the Rabbit motor scooter. Then, in 1958, FHI decided
to enter the automobile market with the Subaru 360. The
automobile's advanced features won Subaru a lasting
place in automotive history.
Now, FHI leads the way for automotive advances,
including the first mass produced all-wheel drive car,
the horizontally opposed boxer engine, and the innovative Subaru Intelligent Drive system.
SUBARU of INDIANA AUTOMOTIVE, INC.
In May 1986 FHI and Isuzu agreed to
a joint venture to establish a manufacturing plant
in the United States.
Of the many cities originally explored in the United
States, 13 sites were eventually chosen for further
consideration in seven states, including the state of
Indiana. Hoosier pride was very evident in Indiana
as cities competed to provide local access to auto parts
industries, present and future. In December of
1986 Lafayette was selected as the site for the plant
and Subaru-Isuzu Automotive was incorporated in March
of 1987 as the managing company for this site.
Ground was broken for the SIA plant in May, 1987.
The 2.3 million-square foot facility performs all integrated
operations from stamping to final assembly. The
annual phase 1 production of 60,000 Subaru Legacys and
60,000 Isuzu pickups and Rodeos began on September 11,
1989. The plant was officially dedicated on October
16, 1989 with a week long grand opening ceremony. In
January 2003, SIA became Subaru of Indiana Automotive,
Inc. signifying the sole ownership by Fuji Heavy
Ltd. SIA discontinued production of Isuzu vehicles on July 23, 2004, and began to build
the Toyota Camry on February 28, 2007.